George C. Greatrex Jr.
George C. Greatrex Jr.,a partner in the law firm of Shivers, Gosnay & Greatrex, LLC, devotes a large and growing portion of his practice to the burgeoning area of homeowner association law in New Jersey, including representing condominium associations, townhome associations, and community associations, spanning the past twenty-five (25) years. In addition he handles residential and commercial real estate transactions, as well as simple estate planning (Last Wills and Advanced Directives).
Mr. Greatrex has also devoted a portion of his law practice to representing individuals in personal injury litigation, including persons injured by exposure to cancer-causing asbestos, those injured in automobile accidents, and those who have suffered various other serious injuries. He has successfully tried dozens of asbestos personal injury and wrongful death cases in the state and federal courts of New Jersey, including two in which his clients were awarded over $1 million each. He has also tried a number of medical malpractice and other personal injury cases, including a case against Trump Casino which resulted in a $4.8 million verdict. His years of litigation experience have enabled him to successfully negotiate hundreds of settlements on behalf of his clients, totaling several million dollars. In 1998 he became the first attorney in New Jersey to win a punitive damages judgment in an asbestos case involving a worker with non-cancerous asbestos disease. In 1999 he was a featured speaker at the nationally-recognized Plaintiffs’ Asbestos Litigation Seminar in Chicago.
Prior to joining Shivers, Gosnay & Greatrex, LLC, Mr. Greatrex spent eleven years with a civil litigation firm in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Prior to that he served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Organized Crime Bureau of the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, and as an Assistant District Attorney in the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office under then-District Attorney Ed Rendell. He graduated from Temple University School of Law in Philadelphia in 1983 and Rutgers College in New Brunswick, New Jersey in 1980.
Born and raised in Medford Lakes, New Jersey, Mr. Greatrex has served as President of the Board of Trustees of his hometown church and has served as President of the Board of Directors of the South Jersey Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. He has also served as an elected member of the Board of Education of his hometown Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, where he lives with his wife and two children.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Homeowner Association Law
- Condominium Associations
- Townhome Associations
- Community Associations
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Asbestos Litigation
- Automobile Accidents
- Wills and Advanced Directives
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. – 1983
- Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- B.A. – 1980
- Frequent Speaker and Presenter, Community Associations Institute
- Presenter, Continuing Legal Education Classes on Homeowner Association Law, Lorman Educational Service
- Featured Speaker, Nationally-Recognized Plaintiffs’ Asbestos Litigation Seminar
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- The Community Associations Institute (CAI), Member
- Legislative Action Committee – CAI
- Burlington County Bar Association, Member
- Camden County Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member